Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 28th: Bangkok, Thailand

Today was an early morning! We woke up at 5am and got to the Hong Kong Airport at 7am. The airport was nice and the Cathay Pacific lounge was pretty luxurious. We had dim sum for breakfast & then walked to the other lounge which was closer to our gate. The news was on so I got updated on all the horrible tornadoes, China earthquake, and Bush/McCain talking. Even on vacation it is impossible and selfish to ignore what is going on around the world. I could have done without the US political news though.
We boarded the plane and got delayed for an hour. Normally this is
irritating but I wasn't bothered, until it got really hot. I can't remember if something with the ventilation while the plane is parked was broken or if the air doesn't start until the engine is on. Either way, it got really hot! The flight attendants tried to distract us with champagne. I just put the cold glass against my face! We had dim sum for breakfast again. Didn't bother me since it is delicious. I had a hard time opening the lotus leaf (wrapped around hot rice) so I cut open the leaf with a knife. The head stewardess came over and yelled at me for using utensils. I told her I was a chop stick professional, but this was my first lotus leaf. She laughed. It was a fairly short flight~ 2 hours and 30 min. I read the in flight magazine which wasn't the best idea. The opening article was about the deadly plane crash from Bangkok to Phuket! A survivor told her story~ only 44 out of the 130 passengers lived. The weather was bad and when they attempted to land the plane broke in half. As we were landing I finished the article. Thankfully we landing safely!
We took a 20 min taxi ride to our hotel, Conrad Bangkok Hotel. It was right in the middle of the city, and was amazing. Very beautiful. Our bedroom was gorgeous... huge bed, great decoration, and the bathroom was awesome. I'm going to try to design our future bathrooms in our future home like this.


We decided we needed to take a short nap. I set the alarm for 3pm which was only an hour and a half of rest. Better than nothing! Eventually I woke up and it was 5pm- whoops! At first I thought I was a complete dumb ass and did not know how to set an alarm clock! Thankfully the clock was set to AM instead of PM. It was bas ackwards so it was not my fault! We planned what we would do in Bangkok during our stay... then the rain/thunder/lightning started. Good god was it raining! We could not see anything next to our hotel! Thankfully we had options downstairs in the mall that was connected. Of course like every mall there was a food court but there were a few restaurants as well. We decided to try the Thai restaurant. It might have been equivalent to an Outback Steakhouse or something worse, but we did not have to walk in the rain. We were the only customers in there too! It was delicious! We had rice cakes and sauce to start, fried rice with grilled pork, crayfish (we thought we ordered shrimp!) with sauce. The crayfish were difficult to eat so I ate most of those. We also ordered beef with hot sauce. We had 2 beers as well. The total bill was $37! What a deal.
We walked a short walk and escalator ride through the mall back to the hotel. One of the most popular bars in Bangkok was in our hotel so we sat down, used the wireless internet, and listened to the awesome jazz band. Almost sounded like John Mayer except the man was Asian. We had to get up early the next day, but with the long nap we had I was not tired. We stayed downstairs listening to the jazz music for a while, and I had the pleasure of experiencing, I mean: seeing, Bangkok prostitutes. Thai woman are already beautiful to begin with, but when they get dressed up in tiny dresses and lots of makeup, wow! The most disgusting part (as if being a prostitute is not disgusting enough already) they were with fat, ugly, bald, white mean who were clearly business men from English speaking countries. Some men appeared they traveled all the way to Bangkok even if they worked at 7-11 to be with Thai prostitutes. I knew this happened, but seeing it with my own eyes astonished me. What a first night!
Me love you long tammeeeee!

No comments: