Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 26th: Spa, trams & shark fins

Today I had the pleasure of enjoying my birthday present. Fraser treated himself & I to a 1/2 day at the Peninsula Spa, ESPA. We went upstairs in our robes and slippers. We enjoyed an hour in our private room that included spa chairs, a hot tub with amazing views over the Victoria Harbor, steam room, and a shower. We also had a fridge full of organic smoothies and Fiji water. Afterwards we enjoyed an hour massage. We laid on our stomachs and enjoyed a 1/2 hour massage on every point on our back, even the back of my pinky toe! Then we flipped over and had a massage on the front. I've never had a head, arm, or calf massage. It was amazing. Then the 1 hr facial began. I've only had one facial in my life (which included extractions). This facial was more of a massage with a million different lotions, etc. I know falling asleep is meant to be a compliment, but I must have fallen asleep about 4 times! To make matters worse when I sleep on my back (I never do because of this) I snore! I must have snored a few times, how embarrassing! We enjoyed a complimentary lunch downstairs by the pool as well. 4 hours later our spa day was over (tear!). Thank you Fraser :)
We took the ferry again to Hong Kong Island (minus Mr. Miagi) and took a tram for what seemed to be hours!

It was raining on and off so we thought this was the best & cheapest way to see everything.

We must have been on board for 2 hours! We were on the 2nd floor so we had a great view and wind so we were not so hot. Majority of the city was beautiful except for shark fin street. We got to a specific area where the signs started to say 'Joe's Shark Fin City' etc... I expected to see 1 or 2, but not 20 different stores! I wanted to cry (instead I got angry and cussed) and Fraser was nice enough to try to distract me. As you know I love sharks and am very educated about them, and the cause of their near extinction (fingers crossed it does not happen). But this was unbelievable. Every shop must have had 200-400 fins in a plastic box at the front door. Ahhhhh I wanted to get out and scream at everyone. I knew it was bad, but until you see something yourself, you have no idea how bad it really really is. I'm getting angry~ here is a happy picture...

This is going to make me seem like a hypocrite, but as far as I know most sushi fish are not close to extinction. Fraser & I went and enjoyed sushi. Not as good as I was expecting, but then again this is Hong Kong and not Japan. Still sushi, so I was happy :)

No comments: