Monday, May 26, 2008

May 18th: Bur Dubai & Verre






We took a taxi to Bur Dubai, another area in Dubai. Unfortunately the traffic was horrible so it took a while to get there. Thankfully the taxi driver had the AC on blast. He dropped us off outside the Dubai Museum. This was a great museum. I learned about Dubai's history since the 1930s. So much has happened in the past few years, and so much more will happen in the next decade. Dubailand (larger than Disney World), Sports City, Health City, and a larger indoor ski resort are in the works. Ridiculous!
We walked around several different parts of Dubai and finally felt we could not walk in the heat any longer. My lime green dress was completely soaked (sorry TMI). We enjoyed the water taxis. They cost a shocking 25 cents! We struggled back to the hotel and went straight to the pool on the roof. The water felt refreshing and we had great views.
We enjoyed happy hour again in the executive lounge and then headed to Verre for our 9pm reservation. I was so excited! I was hoping this night Gordon Ramsay would show up to check on his restaurant haha. The menu looked unbelievable and entirely way too complicated, so Fraser and I both picked the 'Prestige Menu.' A 7 course meal already set out for us. 7 meals sounded like a lot, but how often do we eat at Gordon Ramsay's best restaurant in Dubai? Never!
As my Mom would say 'Smack your Mammy!' Absolutely delicious.
~
roasted sea scallops
~vine tomato minestrone with basil pesto
~seared and carpaccio yellow fin tuna
~duck with risotto
~5 assorted chocolate truffles
~creme brulee with a crispy mint topping and vanilla ice cream (unbelievable!)
I know I am missing something but I cannot remember all of the menu. By the 4th dish I was stretching in my seat! Other people dining saw me and started laughing. Everyone was feeling my pain. I was beyond stuffed but it was worth it. The service was unbelievable too. Almost like Gordon was there and Hell's Kitchen was being filmed.
3 hours later Fraser & I stumbled up to bed with a full stomach. Yum Yum.

No comments: