Thursday, May 22, 2008

May 17th: Sundowner Dune Dinner Safari


I'd love to say the Indian dinner we had while staying at Heathrow Airport was amazing... but we realized there was a McDonald's a few blocks away. So so sad, but we were tired and after eating such yummy food in Dubai, something unhealthy and greasy was going to hit the spot.
Continuing on from the last post... our van was full of Australians which made me happy. The last tour Fraser & I took in South Africa was full of New Yorkers. No offense to New Yorkers, but the woman kept talking about everything in comparison to NY- why did they even travel to South Africa if New York was so much better? Sorry, back to my point... the drive took about 30-40 minutes leaving the city behind and traveling out to BFE. The tour guide talked about Dubai, oil, the royalty, how everything in Dubai was the largest in the world, etc... we arrived at the pit stop until the other 39 vans arrived. They let out air in our tires and the drive began. If only I had known what we were about to get ourselves into! The craziest, scariest, funnest, car sick want to throw up, screaming, laughing, hold on to the Australian woman sitting next to me drive in my life! So much fun! I wish you all could have been in the car with us! Mom, you would have been screaming 'dear gussy' the entire way! A few times we did not make it up the hill and we'd have to slide backwards, hit the car in reverse and get plenty of driving area so the driver could put the pedal on the floor so we would make it!
Our first stop was to get out and take pictures of the dunes and have a drink of water, soda, or throw up. Then we continued on a calmer drive to the camel farm. Here we got to learn about the camel business and meet a few of them. Some were angry and would make funny grunting noises... and some were happy to pose in a picture. Fraser and I had our picture taken with an older camel. I'll post it as soon as we get wireless internet and I can hook up my laptop! Then we carried on...
Our next stop was to watch the sunset. My god was it beautiful. Besides the helicopter ride over Kauai this was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life. After it set we carried on to the camp for dinner. We got out of our vans and had the option of taking a camel ride, sitting down and relaxing after a drink at the bar, or getting a henna tattoo. Fraser and I went to the bar and then sat down and relaxed. A starter was served which was delicious (an assortment of breads similar to Moroccan food). Then dinner was ready. Vegetable curry, marinated chicken, lamb, beef, pita bread, hummus, tabbouleh... yum yum! Then the belly dancer began. It was a beautiful dance but at some points I thought she got a little bit provocative. Then again she was a belly dancer! 2 people from the audience decided to get up as well and dance. The man was hysterical and was a terrible dancer, while the woman must have taken belly dancing classes in her home or she just liked the attention. Before the night was over Fraser and I decided to try sheesha. I had tried this before in Washington DC with a college friend at a sheesha bar. It is similar to smoking weed out of a bong, except it is legal and you do not get high! This is a good thing. It also smells of incense. Fraser & I enjoyed it for a few minutes and then had to leave. We got back in the van and got dropped off at the hotel. Time for bed!

No comments: