Sunday, May 18, 2008

May 15th: arriving in Dubai





















































































Fraser's father, Ian, came to pick us up early in the morning. He dropped us off at Heathrow airport and we finished in the British Airways Concorde Lounge. We immediately went to the Elemis Spa to see if there were any massage appointments available. Unfortunately nothing was open but the woman made an exception and put me in a massage chair for 10 minutes. I'd prefer a person giving me a massage, but a massage chair is better than nothing! Afterwards I met Fraser upstairs in the lounge and I tried to order a yummy British bacon roll but they ran out of bacon. Ugh! I was upset but ordered a mushroom and tomato baguette instead. I had a couple glasses of champagne and over the intercom it was announced that all flights would be delayed and hour because an Ethiopian Airline's tires had exploded on landing. Thankfully no one had been hurt but that meant I had to continue to drink champagne! Such a hard life! haha. An hour later we boarded the plane and thought we'd be ready for takeoff. Unfortunately we had missed our slot for takeoff and had to wait another hour! I had another glass of wine and the first class stewards handed out the menus so we could order our meal. Eventually we took off and Fraser joined me for lunch (picture below). It was delicious (canopes to start, salad, soup, main meal, dessert)... Even though this was a day flight I decided to take a nap and woke up 1.5 hours before landing. Afternoon tea was being served so Fraser and I both had ravioli. Surprisingly it was better than my main meal.

During the end of the flight we passed Kuwait and Bahrain and could see oil wells. As we descended over Dubai I tried to see all the amazing architecture but it was midnight. I could see bright lights on all of the skyscrapers and a ton of cars. It was shocking the amount of cars on the road for that late. Even more shocking was the inside of the airport. It was packed and best of all no immigration. We got our bags and that was it! We went outside and there were millions of people waiting for taxis. Fraser surprised me with a BMW 7 Series car to the Hilton Jumeirah Beach hotel. I've never seen a BMW this big! Water was waiting for us inside the car and our driver was friendly. For 1am I could not believe the temperature. Soooo hot and humid. Nevertheless I was so excited to be in Dubai.
We arrived at our hotel, Hilton Jumeirah Beach and were surprised with an upgrade to a suite and executive lounge access (free breakfast, happy hour, etc). The room was enormous and viewed the beach. We were toast and hit the sack!


No comments: